The construction industry, in general, is full of hazardous operations that could lead to disasters if not well managed. One of the arms of construction is trenching and excavation. These are services that are common on major construction sites across cities, and they come with considerable danger. To avoid such danger, it is encouraged to use local demolition contractors that have the experience and equipment that will ensure safety. In this article, we are going to take a look at some of the trenching and excavation safety tips.
You can protect yourself by following simple rules such as not entering unprotected trenches. Protective systems can be used in the trenches, unless the trenches are made entirely of stable rock.
There are different types of protective systems depending on the types of trenches. One of them is shoring, which requires installing different types of support, such as aluminium hydraulic, to prevent soil movement and cave-ins. There is also shielding, which protects those working in the trenches by use of trench boxes, also preventing cave-ins. Some of the things considered when designing protective systems include soil classification, depth of cut, water content of soil, changes due to weather or climate, surcharge loads, and other operations in the vicinity.
Trenches should always be inspected on a daily basis by a competent person, before people enter them. This is a person that can identify existing and predictable hazards or working conditions that could put people at risk. This person has the authority to take immediate corrective measures to right these conditions.
Access and Egress
All excavations need to have things like ladders, steps, ramps, or other safe means of exit for those that are in the excavation trenches, and they should be at least 25 feet from all the people within.
General Trenching and Excavation Rules
- Heavy equipment should be kept away from the trench edges.
- Surcharge loads should be kept at least 2 feet from trench edges.
- One should know where all the underground utilities are located.
- One should always test for low oxygen, hazardous fumes and toxic gases.
- Inspect trenches at the start of every shift.
- Inspect trenches following rainstorms.
- Do not work under raised loads.
The best way of ensuring safety is to let the experts do it for you. Companies like Cub Demolition offer the perfect solution to your construction issues, while ensuring the ultimate safety. The company is located in Newcastle, Australia, offering demolition and excavation services in Newcastle and the surrounding areas, including Lake Macquarie, New Lambton, Merewether, Wallsend, Mayfield, Charlestown, Belmont and Warners Bay. The company is fully insured and fully licensed to handle both big and small jobs, offering the services below:
- Demolition Services – both residential and commercial demolition services.
- Excavation Services – these are services that involve moving earth for things like pools, driveways, and other things.
- Asbestos Removal – asbestos can pose serious health problems when not properly handled. That is CUB Demolition test the asbestos for any dangerous substances and then remove it accordingly.
CUB Demolition are after establishing long term relationships with their clients, based on integrity, performance, value, and client satisfaction.
Safety should always come first in any sort of construction service. Professionals like CUB Demolitions, are people that know how to handle safety the best, even having all the safety equipment. That is the reason it is recommended to use their services whenever you think it could lead to danger.